A blog for all things Media Literacy. Thoughts, facts, opinions, ramblings, pictures, videos, etc. etc. etc.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Illustrator Project


As somebody who has recently gotten heavily interested in politics, I decided to satirize Fortune's cover in May featuring John McCain as well as Barack Obama, although I do find it interesting that only McCain made it onto the cover. I'm sure it is no secret that I'll be voting for Obama this year, as I am a firm believer in change and a need for radical difference in order to keep this country afloat. I changed the title of the magazine, implying that McCain brings Misfortune and will continue to do so if he is elected President.

I take this stance mainly from his goals concerning the economy, although I believe that misfortune will ensue with a lot of his policies. The headline states that he will destroy the economy with more of the same, implying that McCain will follow in the steps of the last seven years and the Bush administration. The final block of lettering truly gets to the heart of the satire of this cover. Since it is a focus on McCain it states, "Candidate talks about what he'll do to keep Corporate America rolling as always." Not only is it a play on words but it also implies that McCain will continue to do the same thing concerning his economic policies: placing emphasis on the wealthy and the owners of corporate America while the majority (the middle, working class) continues to suffer from high taxes, health care costs, and the housing crisis.

Although it was very new and often challenging to work with Illustrator, this project taught me a great deal about working with graphics and vectors. It also taught me the necessity for patience when working with a project like this so that one can explore the program and really learn how to use it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Trumbull, CT, United States